- Egg Benedict is a dish that is very common in the United States. It consists of an English muffin topped with an egg cooked on top of ham and cheese.
The combination of the salty ham, the runny yolk, and the crispiness of the bread makes this dish one of my favorites. Eggs Benedict originated in England where it was called ‘Benedict’ after St. Benedict who founded many monasteries during his lifetime.
What are the ingredients of a classic egg Benedict?
English muffin is a type of bread, which is small, round shape and flat yeast leavened bread. It is commonly split in half, toasted, and typically served as a breakfast item with spreads such as butter or jam.
English muffins are commonly used as the base for sandwiches, especially egg Benedict’s.
Canadian ham or pork:
It is another ingredient in egg Benedict; both Canadian ham and bacon are types of pork. There is a little difference between them in terms of taste, texture, and preparations.
An egg is a versatile ingredient often used in cooking and baking. It is a rich source of protein, vitamins, and minerals.
- Eggs are used in many dishes, including scrambled eggs, omelets, egg Benedict’s, boiled eggs, and baked goods like cakes and bread.
They can also be cooked in various ways, such as fried, poached, or boiled.
The egg white contains most of the egg’s protein, while the yolk contains most of the fat and cholesterol.
Eggs are also an important part of many cultural cuisines, and they have been consumed by humans for thousands of years.
Ingredients for Egg Benedict:
Here’s a classic recipe for Egg Benedict:
2 English muffins, split and toasted
4 slices of Canadian bacon or ham
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 cups (0.47 l) water
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
To begin making a classic egg Benedict, you’ll want to first warm a skillet or shallow pan over medium-high heat and then add two tablespoons of butter.
- Add the butter to melt and begin to bubble before reducing the heat to medium-low.
- Once the butter has melted, add two thinly sliced pieces of ham to the pan and fry for a few minutes until lightly browned, and then set aside.
Once the ham is cooked, it’s time to poach the eggs.
- Crack two eggs into a bowl with a tablespoon of white vinegar, then fill a deep saucepan three-quarters full of water and add another tablespoon of white vinegar.
- Bring the pan of water to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and gently slide the eggs into the water.
Let the eggs poach for around three minutes before removing them with a slotted spoon and setting them aside.
- Meanwhile, cut two English muffins in half and lightly toast them in a toaster or in a preheated 220 °C oven for a few minutes.
- Once the English muffins are toasted, take two plates and place two halves of the muffin on each plate.
Place a slice of ham on each muffin half, and then carefully place a poached egg on top of the ham slice.
Also Read Pancake recipe: