The rich aromas of prosciutto and cheese are combined with the flaky sweetness of puff pastry to create the delectable appetizer known as pinwheels. From informal get-togethers to formal dinner parties, these pinwheels are ideal for all occasions. Learn how to create these delicious sweets by reading the recipe.
To prepare Prosciutto and Cheese Puff Pastry Pinwheels, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- 6-8 slices of prosciutto
- 1 cup grated cheese (such as Gruyère or cheddar)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: Fresh herbs (such as parsley or thyme) for garnish
|Prep time: 30 minutes||Cook time: 30 minutes|
|Rest time: 5 minutes||Serving: 20 pinwheels|
|Cuisine: Baking||Difficulty: basic|
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the thawed puff pastry into a rectangular shape, about 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick. Ensure the pastry is evenly rolled out to create uniform pinwheels.
- Spread the Dijon mustard evenly across the surface of the puff pastry. This will add a tangy kick to the pinwheels and complement the other flavors.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the mustard-coated pastry. Use a cheese with a robust flavor to balance the saltiness of the prosciutto.
- Lay the prosciutto slices evenly across the pastry, covering the cheese layer. Overlapping the slices slightly will create a beautiful pattern once the pinwheels are rolled.
- Gently season with freshly ground black pepper to enhance the flavors. The prosciutto adds a salty element, so be mindful of the amount of salt you add.
- Starting from one of the longer sides of the rectangle, carefully roll up the pastry tightly. Aim for a firm roll to prevent the pinwheels from unraveling during baking.
- Once rolled, gently press the seam to seal the pastry. This will help maintain the shape of the pinwheels.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices. This will create the pinwheel shape. Arrange the slices on the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between each pinwheel for expansion.
- Lightly brush the beaten egg wash over the tops of the pinwheels. This will give them a beautiful golden color and a glossy finish.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the pinwheels are puffed up and golden brown.
- Once baked, remove the pinwheels from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer them to a serving platter or individual plates.
- For an extra touch of elegance, garnish with fresh herbs, such as parsley or thyme. The herbs will add a pop of color and a hint of freshness to the dish.
Serve the Prosciutto and Cheese Puff Pastry Pinwheels warm or at room temperature and watch them disappear within minutes!
Puff Pastry with the savory flavors of prosciutto and cheese and the flaky texture of puff pastry, pinwheels are an appealing treat. These pinwheels are guaranteed to be a hit at your next party thanks to their quick preparation and delectable results. Enjoy!
- Veggie Delight: To make this dish vegetarian, skip the prosciutto and use bell peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms in their stead. Spread the vegetables over the mustard and cheese layer after sautéing them in a little olive oil until they are soft. Follow the instructions for the rest of the recipe’s steps.
- Mediterranean Flavor: In addition to the prosciutto and cheese, add a layer of sun-dried tomatoes and black olives to give your pinwheels a Mediterranean flavor. The pinwheels’ flavors will be sweet and acidic from the sun-dried tomatoes, and briny from the olives.
- Spicy Kick: If you enjoy a little heat, incorporate some crushed red pepper flakes or a sprinkle of cayenne pepper into the cheese layer. This will give your pinwheels a spicy kick that pairs perfectly with the prosciutto and cheese.
- Sweet and Savory: For a delightful sweet and savory combination, spread a thin layer of fig jam or apricot preserves over the mustard layer before adding the prosciutto and cheese. The sweetness from the jam or preserves will beautifully complement the salty prosciutto and cheese, creating a delicious contrast of flavors.
- Herbed Delights: To improve the flavor quality of your pinwheels, experiment with various herbs. Before rolling the pastry, sprinkle chopped fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, or basil over the prosciutto or add them to the cheese layer. The pinwheels’ flavor will be enhanced by the herbs’ aromatic deliciousness.
- Gourmet Touch: Use a more expensive prosciutto, like Prosciutto di Parma or Prosciutto San Daniele, to elevate these pinwheels to the gourmet level. The prosciutto’s superior quality will give the food a richer, more nuanced flavor.
Remember that these variants are intended to spark your imagination, so feel free to experiment and adjust the recipe to suit your tastes. The very adaptable Prosciutto and Cheese Puff Pastry Pinwheels can be made to accommodate different tastes and dietary requirements. Enjoy discovering new flavors and the delectable results!