A warming and flavorful dish, lentil and garlic-sausage soup combines the healthy richness of lentils with the aromatic enticement of garlic and the rich savoriness of sausage.
This warming soup is ideal for chilly days when you’re craving a hefty supper. Tender lentils, fragrant veggies, and juicy sausage come together to produce a symphony of flavours that will tantalise your palate.
This dish is sure to become a staple in your cooking arsenal, whether you like soup or are just seeking a filling supper. So let’s explore the lovely world of lentil and garlic sausage soup. Grab your apron and gather your supplies.
Ingredients for lentil and garlic soup:
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 8 ounces garlic sausage or smoked sausage, sliced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
|Prep time: 15 minutes||Cook time: 45 minutes|
|Rest time: none||Serving: 4|
|Difficulty: medium||Season: winter|
- Drain the lentils after giving them a quick rinse in cool water. Put aside.
- Olive oil should be heated over medium heat in a big pot or Dutch oven. Include the chopped celery, carrots, onion, and garlic. The vegetables should be cooked for around 5 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
- Add the sausage slices to the saucepan and simmer for a further 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the meat is browned.
- In the same saucepan, mix the lentils, water, bay leaf, and dried thyme. To thoroughly incorporate all the ingredients, stir them together.
- After bringing the soup to a boil, turn the heat down too low. When the lentils are ready, simmer the mixture with the lid on for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste when preparing the soup. From the pot, take out the bay leaf.
- Pour the soup into bowls, top with freshly cut parsley, and serve.
- You can now enjoy your lentil and garlic sausage soup! With some fresh bread on the side, serve it hot.
Benefits of lentil:
- Nutrient-rich: Lentils are packed with essential nutrients like protein, fiber, iron, folic acid, potassium, and vitamin B6, making them a nutritious addition to your diet.
- Rich in fiber: Lentils are an excellent source of dietary fiber, which can promote healthy digestion, help regulate blood sugar levels, and support weight management.
- Heart-healthy: Lentils contain a good amount of soluble fiber, which has been linked to lowering the risk of heart disease by helping to lower cholesterol levels.
- Managing blood sugar: The high fiber content in lentils can help stabilize blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity, making it beneficial food for individuals with or at risk of diabetes.
- Weight control: Due to its fiber and protein content, lentils can help promote feelings of fullness and satiety, which may aid in weight management by preventing overeating.
- Vegetable protein: Lentils are an exceptional source of plant-based protein, making them an ideal choice for vegetarians, vegans, or individuals looking to reduce their meat consumption.
- Nutrient-dense and low in calories: Lentils provide a wide range of essential nutrients while being relatively low in calories, making them a nutritionally dense option.
- Promote gut health: The fiber in lentils acts as a prebiotic, feeding the beneficial bacteria in your gut and supporting a healthy digestive system.
- Versatile and easy to cook: Lentils can be incorporated into a variety of dishes, from soups and stews to salads and side dishes, making them a versatile and convenient ingredient to include in your meals.
- Affordable and easily available: Lentils are budget-friendly and widely available, making them affordable to a wide range of individuals looking to add nutritional value to their diet without breaking the bank.
Can I make this lentil soup in an instant pot?
Absolutely! Using an Instant Pot to make lentil and garlic-sausage soup is a practical and time-saving way that yet produces wonderful results.
You may enjoy the flavors of this warming soup with the Instant Pot without spending a lot of time in the kitchen. It’s a great alternative for anyone who needs a healthy, cooked supper quickly yet are busy.