Chili, also known as chili con carne, is a dish full of flavor and tradition that has conquered the palates of many people around the world. Originally from the United States, specifically from Texas, chili has become a classic in Tex-Mex cuisine and has been adapted in different regions with personal touches.
In this article, we will introduce you to a delicious chili recipe so that you can enjoy this spicy dish in the comfort of your own home.
|Prep time: 15 minutes||Cook time: 1 hour|
|Rest time: 10 time||Serving: 4|
|Difficulty: basic||Season: summer|
Make sure you have the following ingredients on hand before you start making your chili:
- 500 grams of minced beef
- 1 large white onion, chopped into small pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into cubes
- 2 cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of peeled tomatoes, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
Follow these simple steps to prepare a delicious chili:
- In a large pot, heat a little olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced onion and garlic and cook until golden and fragrant.
- Add the minced meat to the pot and cook until it is well browned and cooked through.
- Add the red peppers to the pot and cook them for a few minutes until they are tender.
- Add the peeled tomatoes and tomato paste to the mixture. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Sprinkle the cumin, chili powder, dried oregano, salt, and pepper over the mixture. Adjust the amounts of spices according to your personal preference.
- Add the kidney beans to the pot and stir gently to mix with the other ingredients.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot, and allow the chili to simmer for at least an hour. This will allow the flavors to blend and intensify.
Once the chili is done, it’s time to serve it up and revel in its spicy and comforting flavor. Here we suggest some options to accompany it:
- White rice: Chili complements very well with a portion of white rice. Serve the dish over rice for a delicious and comforting combination.
- Corn tortillas: If you prefer a more authentic presentation, serve the dish with hot corn tortillas. You can use the tortillas to make tacos or just as a side to taste the chili.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream is a classic dressing for chili. Add a generous dollop of sour cream on top of the dish to balance out its spiciness and add a touch of freshness.
- Grated cheese: Grated cheese, whether cheddar, monterey jack or any other cheese of your choice, is the perfect complement to chili. Generously sprinkle shredded cheese over the dish and allow to melt before enjoying.
- Chopped onion: A popular option is to add fresh chopped onion as a topping for the dish. The onion gives a crunch and added flavor to the dish.
- Guacamole: If you are a fan of guacamole, feel free to add a generous spoonful over the chili. The guacamole brings creaminess and freshness to the dish, creating a delicious combination.
Remember that these are just suggestions and you can customize your chili according to your tastes and preferences. Some people prefer to add other ingredients like corn, jalapeno peppers, or even beer to enhance the flavors. Don’t be afraid to experiment!
Chili is a versatile and flavorful dish that has won the hearts of lovers of spicy cuisine. This traditional recipe will allow you to enjoy a delicious homemade chili, with readily available ingredients. Serve the chili with your favorite accompaniments and share this exquisite preparation with family and friends. Enjoy!
Remember that the secret to a good dish is allowing the flavors to meld during the slow cook time, so be patient and enjoy the process. Bon appétit!